Sunday, September 24, 2006

Work Weirdness

I started a new job almost 6 months ago, and there are still things I find strange that I am going to have to get used to.

For the most part the people are friendly. Really friendly. Almost too friendly. When I go on a coffee break or lunch I usually prefer to sit by myself and read a book, unless I happen to get my break at the same time as someone I know and like.

Point is, I'll be sitting by myself reading, and very often someone I barely know will sit down across from me and start a conversation. I don't think most people who know me would consider me to be unfriendly, but I would really rather read than try to keep up my end of a conversation with a stranger.

I've never really been good with small talk. I can do the basics like talk about the weather or complain about work, but I don't really enjoy it. I couldn't care less about sports, and that leaves a big gaping hole in my small-talk reportoire, but it doesn't seem to really matter. Sports fans are like religious nuts, they don't care if you care, they just want to keep talking about their favourite team, or favourite god, or something. I'm sure I could get the simile to work if I tried a little harder. Could probably offend less people too.

I got a promotion recently, and everyone seemed to know about it. My promotion wasn't posted anywhere, it just got around by word of mouth for some reason. People I didn't know were congratulating me and asking how I liked my new position. Although I was flattered, I found it a little creepy at the same time.

It sounds like I'm whining: "Boo hoo! All the people here are too nice!" I like the people I work with, and need to stop being such a curmudgeon.

My workplace is also unionized. I've never belonged to a union before. Each position has a set wage, which means I'm working next to people who have been there for years and yet I'm making exactly as much money as they are. It doesn't feel quite right to me, and yet I still accept my paycheque every two weeks.

No comments: